Sunday, January 20, 2013

PSK - Papa Sierra Kilo

Or, according to some: Poland Sugar Kilowatt and to others: Platypus Simultaneous Kraken.  Or maybe as it actually means, Phase Shift Keying.  This appears to be a typical mid-day mid-winter propagation on 15 meters today.  I'm guessing that I need to get on the air at a different time to get a different part of the world, but I am having a blast trying to work all of the countries in Europe!


I used to stick just to 20m for PSK, but one day I decided to branch out a bit.  I have shied away from 10m since I upgraded to General class a few months back, but on a lark I decided to give it a shot on PSK.  WOW!  I worked 15 new DXCC entities in that one hour session.  I am now hooked.  So given the success of that endeavor I just jumped in with both feet on 15m.  Once again, WOW!  I had really been missing out on the action by staying on a single band.  60+ QSOs and 31 new DXCC entities later I use the following schedule (time and work permitting):

  • 10m (28.120.15) mid morning
  • 15m (21.070.15) late morning
  • 20m (14.070.15) mid day
  • 40m (  7.035.15) evening
There is some blurring of those time frames, but that is the gist of it.  I don't have an antenna that works well on 80m, but I do listen there occasionally both phone and PSK, otherwise I would be working that band in the late evenings as well.  Why don't you give PSK a try and come have a QSO with me on the bands!

73,

Richard, KK4JDO

No comments:

Post a Comment