Monday, June 11, 2012

Last antenna post for now... ;-)

Okay, last one for now.  So the j-pole works pretty well, but I was still staticy when transmitting.  What I needed was a directional antenna for maximum gain.  Again, purchasing one at the Candy Store would have been $50 or more.  But for less than $8 at Home Depot, I was off and running.  When I use this antenna, I am full-quieting on the repeater.  The downside for me right now is that I cannot permanently mount this one outside, as I need to be in the front of the house to point at the repeater that I like to use (147.120MHz,+600,PL-103.5).

My Parts List:


  • 10' of 8AWG copper wire (enough for about three antenna like this, I want to make one for 70cm also)
  • 10' of 3/4 PVC pipe (again, enough for multiple antenna)
  • 50' of RG-58 coax


Time to Completion:


  • About four hours


Here is a pic:


More information on this type of antenna can be found at:

http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/

I have to say that I am impressed with how well this antenna functions!  The one thing that I do need to add is a balun at the feed-point, that is on the project list!  ;-)

73,

Richard, KK4JDO

No comments:

Post a Comment