Saturday, July 28, 2012

Off-Topic: Mount Flip Camera to Bicycle Handlebars

Well, this isn't really ham radio related, but it was a fun project that I did a while back.  My wife and I wanted a way to film some of our cycling "adventures", but we didn't want to spend the money on a GoPro camera.  So instead of spending $200+ on a camera meant to do this, I went to Home Depot and spent $5 in parts.   Basically, I took a mending plate, bent it into a top-hat shape using a bench vise and a hammer, added a couple of hose clamps and a machine screw, and voila, a Flip Cam mount!  I inserted a bit of rubber between the mount/clamps and the handlebar to somewhat isolate vibration.  I also trimmed the corners off of the hose clamps to limited getting scratched if I accidentally ran my hand into it!

My Parts List:

  • Mending plates
  • Hose Clamps
  • Machine screw
  • Washers
  • Small piece of rubber
Time to Completion:
  • About 30 minutes for this one.  The longest time was finding where I put my vise after we moved here.
Here are some pics:





While this wasn't really a ham radio project, it could still come in handy for mounting an HT radio or GPS if you are into APRS.  I'm considering mounting a 2m/70cm HT to my bike to talk and ride, but I want to add a decent antenna instead of the rubber duck.  I've also considered figuring out a bracket for a directional antenna so that I can work satellite contacts from some more remote locations in Florida.  There are some nice "rails2trails" here.  More info will be forthcoming on this as it evolves.

73,

Richard, KK4JDO

No comments:

Post a Comment